Type Keyword and Press Enter to Search
×

Fireplace Remodel

In our formal living room, the fireplace and bookshelves take up an entire wall.  The previous owner stained all of the woodwork a rich, dark cherry color.  I like the warmth of the woodwork, but adding the larger overhang on the new porch blocked a great deal of light into this room.  We have decided that painting the fireplace and surrounding built-ins would completely lighten up the space.  
The marble would need to be changed out with something lighter.

Here is the living room now:


The door and window trim would all remain stained.




Here is what I have envisioned for this room:


White fireplace and book shelves with blue and white accents

Light fireplace with stained trim everywhere else

stained trim with warm, rich tones
via Ralph Lauren Home

Creamy White Fireplace with marble surround



And then there is the whole idea of bookshelves!!

At Christmas, I purchased all of the grasscloth wrapping paper I could find to line the backs of my bookshelves. 


 Or maybe I should paint the back a different shade 


 or just leave them neutral?  


Decisions. Decisions.

Don't miss out on my day-to-day postings over on Instagram!  Follow me!

15 comments:

  1. Love the thought of lightening up the fireplace and bookcases, and then leaving the darker stained trim. Great inspiration photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the idea of the grasscloth as it feels more organic and i think will blend well with the rich wood. :) can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your inspiration photos Emily, and what a tough decision! I love the idea of lightening up the space! We are going through our own little remodel of our fireplace and surround. Can't wait to see how yours turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. Can't wait to see yours too!! xox

      Delete
  4. Love how you said "WE have decided that painting the fireplace..." ;) ;) It's going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It is just so clean and fresh! I think it will meld with the kitchen & keeping room nicely! Thanks, Beth! xox

      Delete
  6. Love where this is heading and it will look great. I'm debating my own fireplace too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia!! I always appreciate your advice! xox

      Delete
  7. Wish we could do next door neighbor consults with each other because I just posted about remodeling our fireplace this week too - so many decisions!!! I love your room - a new look to your fireplace will make such a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Emily!! I can't wait to watch this come together, it will be such a dramatic change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear God your house is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! I read each comment and will answer any questions you might have. Thank you for stopping by!!