Type Keyword and Press Enter to Search
×

Eleven Gables: back porch living

Hi Friends!  I hope you are enjoying your summer.  We are having fun with our boys.  Over the years, I have learned to trim down the summer activities and let the boys be boys.  They fill their days hunting for turtles, exploring the area, swimming, riding bikes, catching fireflies, and they even put on a cowboy play for us last night!  Trust me, there has been plenty of arguing, hitting, and screaming too!  But, all-in-all, we are having a wonderful summer break.




So, I wanted to share my porch remodel with you.  Back in 2012 when we were discussing remodeling the porch and adding an outdoor kitchen area, I threw in that I would rather spend the money on the kitchen, since that it where we spend the majority of our time.  My husband agreed and we worked up a budget to do both.  Well..... the kitchen budget quickly overtook the porch budget and we decided to just scrap the porch remodel altogether.  In the middle of the kitchen remodel, we got hit with a major hail storm.  Still, since we decided to upgrade the windows and siding, we would not be doing any porch remodel any time soon. It wasn't until we removed the vinyl siding, that we discovered water had accumulated under the existing porch roof and basically rotted the headers. 






Our contractor wouldn't move forward without replacing the headers and some adjoining framing.  Well, if you give a mouse a cookie, he is going to want some milk to go with it, RIGHT? :)

Down came the porch roof.


Out came the brick border that was built on sand.

A brick pattern was laid out to copy the rest of the house. My goal was that the porch look like it had always been there. 


A new roof was constructed and installed.  This time adding about 10 feet to the width.

Trimming out of the posts and paint was next.


Furniture came, and furniture was returned. We finally agreed on the look we were going for and everything came together perfectly. I am still searching for the perfect ottoman/coffee table. But, in the meantime, we are enjoying the porch and wonder why we didn't do it sooner!








Thanks for following me here on my blog!  I love sharing my home with you!  

xo, Emily 







20 comments:

  1. Love this. It's beautiful, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous porch! I would be out there all day long! We have talked about doing something similar at our house but like you, we are tackling the kitchen first...
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley! I studied your kitchen today. There is wonderful potential there! I just reworked a kitchen with a dear friend this afternoon. So exciting. Kitchens are my favorite right now!! Let me know if you need any advice! xo, Emily

      Delete
  3. Wow!! Gorgeous! Isn't it funny how kitchen remodels have a way of overtaking everything?? Love the brick pattern to match the house. And hopefully you will find gear deals on outdoor furniture now-I know target and world market both have sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can you believe we don't have a World Market in Oklahoma City. (boo-boo). But I had a happy surprise happen to me that I can share in an upcoming post! Stay Tuned!! xo, Emily

      Delete
  4. Oh Emily!!! This space is beautiful! I would be out there all the time. I hope you and your family enjoy it all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sweet Lisa! We LIVE out there! Wish you could join us! xo, Emily

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful space...I'd be out there all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, your porch is simply gorgeous and I love the furniture choices too! You must be thrilled with how it turned out! I think you'd find me out there 24/7 this summer enjoying a cocktail or two while the kids play in the backyard. So glad you linked up to Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me over on Best of the Nest! I have been living outside! The weather has been perfect this year. I'd love to have you visit for a cocktail!! xo, Emily

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, Emily, I couldn't love it more!! It truly does look like it's always been there. What a great space for your family to enjoy for years! I love seeing those cute boys of yours out on an adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. Sure did miss meeting you at Haven. You need to come next year!!! xo

      Delete
  8. Apparently I was meant to come read through your blog tonight! My husband and I were outside last night after putting our daughter to bed discussing our outdoor options. Since we live in the South also (Texas), we know the importance of outdoor living/entertaining but our tiny 4'x10' covered patio just doesn't cut it. I had mentioned to him about doing brick to match the house but he couldn't really picture it...and here you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found me! My husband had a hard time envisioning my idea too. I had to physically draw it out and color it in for him. :) I think the brick ties in nicely to the existing porch. It looks like it has always been there. Please take my advice and pour a foundation with footings for your new brick patio. The previous owners put brick on sand and after 8 years, the sand washed out and the brick was collapsing. I'd love to answer any more questions you both might have! xo

      Delete
  9. Hi I came across here from Rhoda's blog after seeing your porch and house on her feature Friday. I was wondering if you'd mind sharing what size you ended up with for the covered portion of your porch. We are currently planning to remove the roof and extend ours out and yours seem to have the size I'm looking for. Do you mind sharing?

    TIA!

    Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I am so happy you are here! The covered section is 18' deep by 25' wide. It truly makes all the difference in the world in being able to utilize this space now! xox

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the welcome and the information. I appreciate it very much.

      Delete
  10. Thank you very much for the welcome and the information. That was a quick response. It sounds like our plan is close although a different shape 18' wide (existing space to use) by 28' deep.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! I read each comment and will answer any questions you might have. Thank you for stopping by!!